Most people say that it’s ridiculous to say that the Harry Potter books saved lives, but read this and you’ll change your perspective. Evanna Lynch, who plays Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter, once wrote to J.K. Rowling begging for at least a tiny role in one of the films. At the time she was young and was dying due to her anorexia. She mentioned it to J.K. and begged to have one part in the film before it was too late. J.K. Rowling responded with a deal: she’d give her a part if she got better. Evanna got better and never returned to her anorexia.
Reblog every time because 1. It’s fucking awesome. 2. She’s fucking gorgeous. and 3. Books save lives.
Even if you’re not in the fandom… ;_;
i adore evanna.
1) The day my sister got back from the hospital after a suicide attempt. I didnt let go for about an hour.
2) Kid just found out his brother was shot and killed.
3) A Russian war veteran kneels beside the tank he spent the war in, now a monument.
4) Man sobbing at animal shelter. After being jailed briefly and his dog Buzz Lightyear impounded he couldn’t afford the $400 to get his pet back.
5) A firefighter gives water to a koala during the devastating Black Saturday bushfires that burned across Victoria, Australia, in 2009.
6) Alcoholic father with his son
7) Robert Peraza pauses at his son’s name on the 9/11 Memorial during the tenth anniversary ceremonies at the site of the World Trade Center.
8) Greg Cook hugs his dog Coco after finding her inside his destroyed home in Alabama following the Tornado in March, 2012
9) After two double lung transplants and years of battling cystic fibrosis, my good friend passed away last Saturday. This was one of the last pics taken with his mother.
- Harry Potter: "Does it hurt? Dying?"
- Me: YES HARRY IT DOES BECAUSE I'M DYING RIGHT NOW WATCHING THIS FUCKING SCENE AND I AM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT IT HURTS REALLY DAMN BAD OKAY I'M IN SO MUCH PAIN RIGHT NOW SO JUST STOP IT.
Not only was she the first female writer to make the Forbes billionaires list, she then became one of the very few people to take herself off that list by giving so much to charity that it actually made a dent in her fortune.
And she gets it. There aren’t enough generous billionaires in the world who remember where they came from, therefore private charity isn’t the ultimate (only) answer to poverty like some politicians would have us believe. We are all interconnected, we all need each other, in democratic countries we are part of the government, and so keeping needy people from falling into complete destitution and despair is an important and worthy role for government to take. It benefits all of us in the long run. And nobody who feels comfortable and secure now (fewer and fewer of those people around these days) has any guarantee they won’t need help themselves someday.
JK Rowling…reason numbers 2.7 billion why I adore this woman.